- West Virginia University ID (Mountaineer Card) or Student Recreation Center ID is required for facility access at all times.
- Students and WVU employees will use their current activated Mountaineer Card for access.
- WVU families will use their Student Recreation Center card: all non-WVU faculty/staff and student ID cards can be issued in the Member Services office at the Student Recreation Center.
- The WVU Student Recreation Center is a controlled access facility. No one is permitted beyond the reception area without a valid student ID, Employee ID, Student Recreation Center card, or sponsored guest pass.
- University-sponsored conference attendees and special event groups are permitted to use the WVU Student Recreation Center. Individuals are required to pay an admission fee, and passes must be secured in advance.
- No one is permitted to use the facility under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Appropriate attire is required at all times. This includes wearing a shirt and non-marking soled shoes. Swimsuits and swim footwear are limited to the aquatics area.
- Bookbags and other personal items are not permitted in any program area of the facility. Day lockers and locker rooms are available for storage of personal items. Center staff cannot guarantee the security of valuables and are not responsible for lost or stolen items. It is therefore recommended that valuable personal items be left at home.
- Any display of poor conduct, fighting, abusive language, or willful destruction of University property may result in loss of facility use privileges, and, if appropriate, further disciplinary or legal action.
- Individual patrons shall utilize all recreational facilities at their own risk.
- A parent, legal guardian, or other adult must accompany any users under the age of 13 years.
- Animals are prohibited in the facility, unless utilized as a guide or assistant for people with disabilities.
- The WVU Student Recreation Center is a smoke-free facility. Smoking, tobacco use and vaping in any form are prohibited.
- No food, drink (except water in a closed container), or chewing gum is permitted beyond the control area of the Student Recreation Center. All food items must be consumed in the lounge area of the free zone.
- Radios with headphones are permitted in the facility; however, other audio/visual media are prohibited unless authorized by Campus Recreation staff.
- Signs may not be posted on any wall in the Student Recreation Center. All postings must have prior approval from administration and then may be posted on general use boards.
- Bicycles, rollerblades, and skateboards are prohibited in all indoor facilities.
Weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- If damages occur to the Student Recreation Center equipment or facilities, the responsible party will pay for the cost of the repair.
- Any individual not following appropriate policies or behaviors will be asked to leave the facility.
- Adults must participate with or directly supervise all children under the age of 13 at all times.
- Campus Recreation staff reserve the right to interpret our regulations to best serve the needs of patrons.
Participants must be 13 years of age or older to
use the weight and fitness rooms.
- Adult supervision is required on the climbing wall at all times for children under 13 years of age.
Racquetball and Squash Court Rules
Racquetball and squash court reservations can be made one day in advance beginning at 6 a.m. on weekdays, 8 a.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. on Sundays (Saturday/Sunday 10 a.m. during “University breaks.”)
- All players must check in at the front service desk before going to a court.
- A waiting list will be established, and courts not claimed will be given away at 10 minutes after the hour.
- Protective eyewear is strongly recommended and should be properly worn.
- Wrist straps should be worn on all racquetball racquets.
- The jogging/walking direction will be rotated daily. Please follow the posted direction.
- The inside lane is for faster joggers; slower walkers/joggers should move to the outside lane.
- Stretching is allowed in designated areas only.
- For safety purposes, no loitering is allowed on the track surface.
- Spikes are not allowed on the track.
- Observation of basketball activity should take place from the lower level. Please do not stop on the jogging/walking track to observe the lower level courts.
Cardiovascular Area(s) Rules:
- A 30-minute time limit on cardiovascular machines must be observed when someone is waiting. The weight and fitness staff will determine when to enforce time limits
- Patrons must wipe down machines after use with the provided cleaning wipes.
Free Weight Area Rules:
All weight training should be performed in a controlled, safe manner. Dropping, slamming, or bouncing of weights (both with free weights or selectorized weight training equipment) is prohibited.
- Olympic lifting is prohibited in the open floor.
- The use of chalk is prohibited.
- Spotters are recommended for all lifters.
- All equipment, including plates and dumbbells, must be returned to appropriate racks when finished.
- Weight collars (clips) are required.
- All free weight equipment must be kept in the free weight area.
- Weights and bars of any kind should not lean up against the walls, pillars, equipment, or mirrors.
Weight Room General Rules:
Participants must be 13 years of age or older to use the weight and fitness rooms. Anyone who is under 13 years of age is not allowed in the weight and fitness areas
No food, tobacco of any kind, chewing gum, glass bottles, or cans are allowed. Only water, carried in a plastic container with a lid/cap, is permitted
Profanity or excessively loud or suggestive language will not be tolerated
All users are encouraged to bring a clean towel to use on the weight equipment, and to wipe down cardiovascular equipment and weight machine padding after each use. (Covering the padded equipment with a towel helps prolong the life of the equipment and keeps bacteria, such as MRSA, from spreading to the next user).
- Patrons should use extreme caution in lifting weights to avoid potential injuries to themselves or others.
- All equipment must remain in the area it was found. Do not move equipment from one location to another.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it was designed. Do not attempt to modify the equipment.
- No outside personal training is permitted in the facility. Personal training can be arranged through the weight and fitness staff.
- Do not attempt to use equipment if unfamiliar with the proper use. Please ask the weight and fitness staff for assistance.
Appropriate exercise attire is required in the weight and fitness rooms (T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, warm-up suits, sweat suits, and athletic shoes are acceptable attire when working out). Closed-toe athletic shoes are required . Sandals, open-toe shoes, hard-soled shoes, string tank tops, cut-off tank tops, mesh tank tops, jeans, street clothing, and anything that compromises the safety and professionalism of the weight and fitness rooms are prohibited.
Personal belongings such as backpacks, wallets, etc., may not be placed anywhere in the weight and fitness rooms. Day use lockers are located in the hallway outside the weight and fitness rooms for your convenience. There are also lockers located in the locker rooms.
Please direct all questions, concerns, and maintenance needs to a weight and fitness staff person on duty.
Fitness Room A Reservation Policy:
Room A, the large multipurpose room behind the racquetball courts, is available to reserve on a first come, first served basis, when it is not being used for Rec Center programs.
- Room A may be reserved up to 24 hours in advance for one hour at a time.
- Only non-marking athletic shoes are allowed in the multi-purpose rooms (i.e. NO tap shoes, heels, boots, ECT).
- No food or beverage (other than water) is permitted in the room.
- Participants do not have access or permission to use the equipment or stereo system. They must bring their own equipment.
- Any student organization, group, or individual wishing to reserve Room A should click the button below:
Group Exercise Rules
- All group exercise class participants must be at least 13 years of age or older.
- Classes are on a First Come, First Serve basis, therefore, participants are highly encouraged to arrive on time to class. Late participants may be denied entry to class, at the instructor’s discretion, due to the importance of a sufficient warm-up period as well as disruption of class flow.
- It is highly recommended that participants stay for the entire group exercise class to ensure participation in the proper cool-down and stretching phase of the class.
- All equipment must remain in the multipurpose rooms and must be returned to its proper location after use. Equipment from other areas may not be brought into the multi-purpose rooms.
- Personal items can be stored in the cubicles provided in the multipurpose room, in the coin-operated lockers, or in the locker rooms.
- Only non-marking athletic shoes are allowed in the multi-purpose rooms.
- All participants are encouraged to bring a towel and water bottle.
- No food or drink, other than water, is permitted in the group exercise rooms.