Canoe Battleship Rules
Please consult the Intramural Sports Participant Handbook for the complete list of Intramural Sports policies.
- Games will be played at the Student Recreation Center (SRC) in the Lap Pool.
- Please reference the Intramural Sports Participant Handbook for player eligibility guidelines.
- The Competitive Sports staff assumes responsibility for the investigation of eligibility for all participants upon request. University ID or SRC membership cards will be required during all intramural activities. Any individual the Competitive Sports staff deems to be ineligible will not be allowed to participate.
- Participants must have an SRC membership and purchase an IM Play Pass before being permitted to play any intramural sport activity. Information on applying for an SRC membership card can be found on WVU’s website, found here: https://campusrecreation.wvu.edu/membership or at the SRC Front Desk. Information on purchasing IM Play Passes can be found on WVU’s website, found here: www.wvugo.wvu.edu or at the SRC Front Desk.
- All graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in academic courses are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports activities.
Faculty and Staff
- All full-time and part-time faculty and staff members at WVU are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports activities given that they have obtained an SRC membership card.
- Spouses of full-time and part-time students, faculty and staff members are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports activities given that they have obtained an SRC membership card.
- Employees who are classified as “Affiliates” with West Virginia University are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports activities given that they have obtained a WVU membership card.
Varsity Student Athletes, Coaches, and Staff
- Any person whose name appears on a collegiate varsity, junior varsity, or freshman roster as a player or a coach will be ineligible in that specific intramural sport after August 1st in the year they have quit the team, or their eligibility has expired. This includes all players who are "red shirted" in any sport, anyone who practices with a team regularly but does not participate in intercollegiate competition, and coaches, staff, or other individuals listed on the team roster.
- Former collegiate varsity athletes may participate in their related sport once eligible, however they must participate in the Competitive League (if offered, regardless how long they have been removed from a varsity roster) and a limit of one player is allowed per team roster in all sports.
Sport Club Members
- Sport club members are defined as individuals who meet any one of the following criteria:
- Name appears on sport club team roster during the academic year
- Signed a consent form and is actively participating in club functions
- Actively participating with the club during their season
Current sport club members may participate in their related sport either in competitive
or recreational leagues, but must adhere to the following restriction:
- 2-4 player teams = 2 club members
- 5-8 player teams = 3 club members
- 9+ player teams = 4 club members
Game Time & Timing Regulations
- Each heat will last no longer than 15 minutes or until there is only one boat remaining afloat.
- 5 minutes will be allotted between heats to remove and reset all canoes.
- We encourage teams to come ready to play in their own swimsuits. Teams may dress up and or color coordinate, however, baggy clothing is PROHIBITIED.
- All jewelry of any type must be removed.
- The Aquatics Staff will provide three buckets and one shield to each team.
- Water shoes are not required but are recommended. Goggles are permitted.
- Canoes will be provided by Adventure WV.
- Teams MUST consist of four participants in each canoe. Heats will not be permitted to start if there is any number less than three participants in each canoe.
- A team will consist of both male and female players. There is no requirement for male to female player ratio.
- There will be no more than four canoes eligible to participate in each heat.
- Valid WVU ID Cards are required for participation.
Start of Play
- Play will begin on the official’s whistle.
- This is a single elimination tournament, so sink or be sunk.
- The team to stay afloat by the end of the heat will win and move on in the tournament.
Violations & Penalties
Participants cannot “bail” water out of their own boats.
- Penalty: Participants in the boat must dump 5 new buckets of water in their own boat before continuing to play.
Participants are NOT allowed to hold, rock, or push down opponents’ boats.
- PENALTY: Participants in the boat must dump 5 new buckets of water in their own boat before continuing to play.
Once a boat is sunk, its players may NOT touch other boats still in play. They must
remove themselves and their boat from the pool area and wait until the round
- PENALTY: Disqualification.
- Half the Lap Pool: 12.25 yards in length x 14.25 yards in width.
Teams will receive a rating each week, by the officials’ discretion, on a scale of 1.0-5.0, that will create an average at the end of the season. They must have an average of a 3.0 or above to be eligible for playoff participation. Sportsmanship ratings are outlined as follows:
5.0 = Superior - Outwardly enthusiastic and courteous to other teams and their players
4.0 = Good - Respectful, pleasant behavior, no warnings
3.0 = Average - Overall acceptable behavior, some issues with individual participants, receive and adhere to verbal warnings, no unsportsmanlike conduct fouls
2.0 = Poor - Little control over unsportsmanlike behavior, multiple unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, no ejections
1.0 = Unacceptable - No control over unsportsmanlike behavior, one ejection
Further questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.